Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sawatdee ka!

So, I've arrived in Bangkok and - except for having to flat out run from my first flight to the second when I heard them call my name for final boarding - everything went suspiciously smoothly. The whole trip went by faster than I thought it would, I met up with someone else in the program so I had a cab buddy, and we made it the hotel without any problems. I was waiting for something to go wrong.

We found another program member at the hotel and we only managed a couple hours of sleep before we got up for the free breakfast at the hotel (because, really, sleep or free food?). And then it was time to look around the neighborhood. Bangkok is a little overwhelming, smell-wise. There's a lot smog and pollution, but underneath that are a lot of yummy food smells from the many (many) vendors along the sidewalks. And still things went smoothly. The heat wasn't too bad, I successfully said hello and thank you in Thai (the woman at the register was probably humoring me but I like to pretend), and although I almost got run over by an old woman an a motorbike, I didn't.

And then it happened. The plan was to not sleep and tough it out until the night. But since we were tired, we decided to relax for a bit - read, watch T.V. Nine hours later, we realized there's no beating jet lag. Now it's around midnight, we're wide awake and about to try out vendor food for the first time. And then after, hopefully trying catch some sleep.

Thai phrases:
Sawatdee ka (khrap, for male speakers)/ Hello
Khawp khun ka/khrap / Thank you

Price of a 1.5 liter bottle of water: 12 baht/33 cents

7 comments:

  1. Katie, COOL. Glad you made it, love the humor. Have fun. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! Glad you got there. I really missed you today - I had to run my own errands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    You make me wish I were in Bangkok again. Don't forget to tour the Grand Palace and take a ride down the Chao Phraya River. Oh, and about the elephant, why just see one when you can ride one. I'm sure there is a place nearby Suphanburi that offers rides. Be good.
    Phom chue Katie. Phom ben ar-jaan krub (My name is Katie. I am a teacher)
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow your adventures always end up adding to my technological skill set- your inutero challenges led my VCR expertise. (Hey, it suddenly occurred to me that it was I, your long-suffering, do whatever it takes to hold on to this precious baby, who got you started on the movie kick. Boy do you owe me!) Back to the topic at hand: when, as a Kindergartener, you had to dance to a country song in your dress up ball gown in the school talent show...I had to learn to use a video camera. Then came Sonic and I mastered TV-video game connections. Fast forward to Ireland and instant messaging, and now Taiwan, oops Thailand and this blogging thing. All I can say is, this better be good! I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie: What a treat to talk to you today. Mom, Mem and I had a great Mother's Day lunch together. Now I'm home watching the golf match with Uncle Bob (no surprise) and waiting for Jeff, Sara, Ella, Mike, and Cat to come for dinner.

    Heard from Mom about the elephant ride tomorrow. Can't wait to see the photos and hear all about it....and all your other adventures.

    Love, Aunt Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to Mom's comment about learning new technology. Yeah I figured it out...I knew I could. Loving that you are having a great experience. Anxious to see pictures, hopefully you on an elephant. Love ya, Cousin Marshoo

    ReplyDelete