Monday, August 17, 2009

Cloudy skies do not weather make

I miss weather. Specifically, I miss weather that isn’t hot, but at this point I’ll take anything. And storms that happen at two in the morning when I’m asleep don’t count. The last couple of weeks have been some of the hottest so far and – to the degree – this next week isn’t supposed to change. I thought living here during the rainy season would mean cooler weather and, you know, rain. I’ve decided the plants get all their water from the humid (oh so humid) air, because it’s not coming from anywhere else.

We can’t blast the a/c since we pay our own electricity and we get paid in baht, so we escape the heat by going to the pool or, to repeat a favorite, head to the beach for the weekend. There are so many beaches around, we have yet to go to the same one twice and this past weekend it was Ko Si Chang. There isn’t much going on there, which ended up being exactly what we needed. Falling asleep at 10:30 on a Saturday is it’s own kind of fun. We’re all a little burnt out from teaching and we really needed to do nothing. The beach itself wasn’t great, probably the worst I’ve been to so far. But remember that a mediocre Thailand beach is still pretty great and it was the best beach weather we’ve had so far. In the end, I only need sand, ocean, and decently clear skies to have a good beach day. Well, that and a bathing suit, which I somehow forgot to bring. A bra is almost like bathing suit anyway. And since I was also wearing shorts, the Thais (who swim in their clothes) would say I was the most appropriately dressed out of us all.

We're planning out the rest of our weekends (we don't have many left) and starting on our post-semester traveling plans. There are so many places I want to go and I just don't have enough time. Sometimes I want to stay for another semester, but I actually (for the first time ever) have a plan for the next few years and I want to get started on it. I'll just have to fit as much as I can in the next two months. This weekend it's back to Kanchanaburi, home of the Scary Bugs, to see the things we missed out on last time. I've decided I'd like to see more of fewer places than skim through as many places as I can cram in. Hopefully this time I'll see more scenery and less local wildlife.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    I am thrilled to be reading about your teaching in Thailand. Nancy Barry gave me the address for your blog, and I have both sympathized with and laughed at your escapades--teaching and other. Keep up your writing--it's quite engaging.
    Sister Jane

    ReplyDelete