Sunday, August 23, 2009

You can feed the farang, but if you point she gets agitated

About two minutes ago, I heard an unusual amount of noise in the hallway and looked up to see a large group of people videotaping things and being led on what appears to be a tour. Naturally, I was curious.

Me: What's going on?
Pi-Dee: They are teachers visiting from another school. Look, they're waving at you!
Me (turns around and sure enough): Oh. Hello.
Pi-Dee: Wave back!
Me (sighs and waves): Hi. Hello. Yes, hello to you in the back. You can really come closer. (Teachers gesture enthusiastically to their skin and then mine.) Yes, I am white. You don't need to point... and there's the video camera.

So now I'm writing this and pretending to be busy, since before all I was doing was eating Wheat-Thins (courtesy of Mom). They're starting to disperse now that I'm not paying any attention to them, but I bet the tour guide is saying something like this: "So, you noticed that in addition to the new computers in the science rooms, the school has also acquired a farang. She doesn't always understand what's going on, but if you want to practice shaking hands, she's the one to go to."

Sometimes things like this bug me and sometimes they make me laugh. Since I had a chance to recharge over the weekend, it's mostly the latter. Even though we did fail miserably at going to Kanchanaburi. After school on Friday, we headed to the bus station only to be told that we had missed the last direct bus. We were sad, but not too surprised since the bus schedule is kind of hit or miss. They tried to put us on a bus to Nakhon Pathom, where we could catch a different bus to Kanchanaburi, but since that would put us two hours in the complete opposite direction we decided to leave early the next morning.

Except we didn't. We mostly meant to, but our beds were so comfy and the buses are not. So it was another quiet pool weekend, which really was just fine. We'll try again this weekend.

And now to my last class of the day. I love being done by one on Mondays. It makes starting the week a little bit easier.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I would love to tell the folks at IND about what you're doing here. Would you email me and let me know if it's OK to share? Thanks,
    Sr. Jane
    jcayer@indofmd.org.

    ReplyDelete