Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It was almost like camping... except it wasn't at all

The number of weekends we have to romp around Thailand is quickly decreasing (only two more before post-semester traveling) and we've been trying to fit in as much as possible. Two weeks ago our plan to go back to Kanchanaburi was foiled; first, by lame Thai bus schedules and then by our lack of desire to get up at six on a Saturday morning. We tried again last weekend and managed to make it to the bus station just in time to hear "Hurry, farang! Kanchanaburi, five minutes!" Of course, once we ran to the bus and sat down, we realized that five minutes really meant closer to thirty. But we are neither surprised nor bothered (mostly) by these things anymore and were just happy to have made the bus at all.

Our only goal was to spend some time at Erawan Falls, which is the waterfall to see in Thailand. Since at times it feels like there's a waterfall on every corner in this country (though maybe not in Suphan, which leans more to the dirt, construction, and overgrown fields of death side of the scenery spectrum), it's no small thing to say that Erawan is one of the best. It has seven-tiers, most with pools to swim in, things to climb, and giant rocks to slide down. We spent most of the day playing in our natural playground and taking more pictures of water and rocks and water on rocks than anyone really needs. I felt like this was good practice for the next weekend, when the plan was to go to Khao Yai National Park and stay in a resort but save money by sleeping in tents. But the weekend turned out not to be quite as rustic as we'd planned.

When we called the resort to make reservations, they told us sadly that there were many conferences that weekend and there would be no room. We said we were calling about tents, not rooms, and were there any available? "Oh. Tents. Yes, we have many many tents. But are you sure...?" We were sure.

We quickly found out why there were so many tents free. Khao Yai isn't far from Suphan, not even three hours, but it seems that it's far enough away for the weather to change. And by that, I mean there actually is some. The rainy season isn't just a rumor to fool silly farang. The minute we stepped out of the taxi, we were immediately informed by the overly concerned manager (who we very quickly dubbed Mom) that it had rained every night for a week and the tents weren't waterproof. Well, you know me and my deep love for grass and bugs, so I was pretty bummed that we'd be missing out. But my mood brightened when Thai Mom told us that there were rooms available and they turned out to be excellent, by far the best I've stayed in here. Not to mention, they were only 500 baht a person. My love for low season prices is true and pure.

I am happy to report that the best word to describe the weekend is "classy". Compared to everywhere else I've stayed (including, at times, Suphan), the resort was luxurious. There was air conditioning and good food and a pool and a nice bathroom and never once did I say "That's an unfortunate smell..."

And the luxury didn't stop there. Much to our surprise, we discovered that Thailand makes wine. And guess what? Their biggest and best is in Khao Yai. So the only thing to do was go on a tour of the winery and have a wine tasting.

I told you, classy.

So that was my weekend. Wine, excellent food, and luxury.

In current news, here are some things that happened to me today:

1. Filled out three "profiles" about myself on intricately decorated paper, including my birthday, address, phone number, and "how/why I am so beautiful". This isn't unusual, but it's happening more often. I think the students are starting to catch on that I'm leaving.

2. Signed four autographs. I'd say I just signed my name, but there's no point denying it. They're autographs.

3. Received two beautifully wrapped "before-birthday" presents. Thanks to profiles I've filled out previously, a lot of the students know my birthday. I'm not sure if they know that I'm leaving and wanted to give me something before I go, or if they just wanted an excuse to give me something. For those who are interested, the presents were two books, both in English – simplified learning English versions of "The Woman in White" and "The Call of the Wild". Like most things that happen to me in Thailand, I was confused but delighted. The students (and their friends) also sang "Happy Birthday".

4. Found out that on the last two days of classes next week, seven out of eight of mine are canceled. This brings me from five classes to one on Thursday and none on Friday. They tried to tell me that I still had to come to school on Friday, but I refused. I'm already spending the entire week after that doing nothing in the office. I can't add another day on top of it. Also, I managed to completely shock the head of my department when I heard her talking in Thai about the 17th and 18th and then (since the canceled classes rumor had been floating around) asked whether there would be school on those days.

Kanchana (to another teacher): Thai, Thai, sip jet (17), sip baad (18). Thai, sip jet, sip baad. Thai, Thai, Thai.
Me (knows what their talking about and waits to see if anyone thinks that I too should be informed. No one does.): Are you talking about classes on the 17th and 18th? Are they canceled?
Kanchana (stares, obviously shocked that I understood any of what she said): How...?
Me: I can also pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time.
Kanchana: What?
Me: Nevermind.

I think a year from now, I won't believe things like this actually happened to me regularly.

1 comment:

  1. Very sly disguise: The seemingly dim non-Thai speaking farang positions herself to non-chalantly overhear her colleagues conversation and secretly gathers the details she needs to operate successfully undercover in her place of business.
    I don't know if you've ever thought about this but it sounds like you have spy potential. One warning though- you should probably stop giving out your profile information to potential foreign operatives.

    ReplyDelete